Friday, July 17, 2009

Teacher vs. Therapist

I am a yoga teacher (at least that is the role in life that I choose to self-identify with ;-). Primarily I teach yogasana (the physical movements and poses of hatha yoga), meditation techniques, and the basic yoga philosophy (as I see it ;). I gladly share, whenever I am given the opportunity, almost everything I know about the theoretical bases, traditions and myths of yoga, Sanatana Dharma and tantra. Sometimes I imagine my knowledge is vast, but more often I realize how little I know. Sometimes I imagine that I have somehow risen above it all, but most of the time I know how deluded I am.

My yoga is not just a type of physical exercise. Everything in life is part of my yoga; I endeavor to be continuously aware of my practice in this moment. Everything I do, and everyone I interact with, is for the sake of my practice and is a tool for positive transformation. I do not always remember this - often my samskaras express themselves without my intentional awareness, but hopefully I notice that on later reflection. This process requires constant evaluation and self-analysis (hopefully not judgmentally).

Although my transformations are internal, my practice is external - both in private and in my interactions with others. Internally I am analyzing my thoughts, feelings, and actions, and I monitor my physical health and well-being. Because I project my internal world outward, I am frequently performing the same kinds of evaluations on others. Because I am a teacher I often share those observations with others - sometimes prescriptively. Often times a student will ask for guidance or advice, but because of my world view and beliefs about the "core problem," my prescription is always the same, regardless of the current problem: Do more yoga; meditate more; practice centered presence and perpetual-mantra (second-attention). I am not a therapist, psychiatrist, doctor or counselor - I am a yoga teacher.

- Nadananda

No comments:

Post a Comment